As a professional dog walking and pet sitting service covering Waukesha, Milwaukee, Racine and Kenosha counties, we’re beginning to see colder days and snow. Here are some tips to help your dog through the harsh winter:
· Utilize Musher’s Secret or some other paw wax. This will help protect your dog’s paws from getting little snowball build-up between their toes. It will also help protect against chemical burn on their pads from sidewalk salt.
· Speaking of salt, be sure to use pet friendly ice melting salt at your home. It won’t burn your pets paws and it’s also non-toxic to them.
· If you have a smaller dog or one that doesn’t love snow, consider shoveling a “potty pathway” for your dog so they don’t have to fight their way through the cold snow to eliminate.
· On especially cold days, multiple shorter visits outside will keep both you and your pet safe.
· If you notice your dog shivering at any trip outside, and your dog doesn’t mind wearing them, you can find sweaters and coats at most pet stores. Take your dog’s measurements before heading out so you can get an appropriate size.