With natural disasters right in our own backyards, are you prepared in case something should happen to you and your dog or cat?
If you had to evacuate, are you ready to take your dogs, cats, birds, fish and small animals out of your home and KNOW that their safety could be guaranteed?
Here are some great tips to prepare for an emergency situation:
- Make sure that all of your pets are microchipped. Many pet stores in the Milwaukee area have low cost clinics that will do this for a small amount. Make sure that the company that you are getting the chip from is reputable. Please see this article for great information: https://lostdogsofamerica.org/the-microchip-maze-buyer-beware-part-1-the-900-chips/
- Have identification on your pets at all times. A great company is 800 Help 4 Pets. If you are a Wisconsin Pet Care client, you can get one for free! http://www.theemergencytag.com/
- Have all your vaccinations and vet records at the ready in one folder.
- Make sure you have enough food, treats,water and medication for two weeks. If you have a cat, make sure you have enough cat litter and an extra box/supplies, just in case. A cooler is also recommended if you have a diabetic animal.
- Make sure you have blankets, towels and cleaning supplies packed in your car in case you may need to sleep there. Have leashes, poop bags and other dog necessities at the ready. You may want to get toys for both your cats and dogs to occupy the time and help dispel the stress.
Being prepared is imperative. Be ready and you will have a much easier time with emergencies.
Your Milwaukee Dog Walkers and Pet Sitters.