With the most important holiday of the season quickly approaching, it’s important to keep certain foods and safety hazards out of Fido’s reach!
- Any kind of dough – cookie, bread, etc. It can ferment in your pet’s stomach and cause all sorts of intestinal issues, and possibly lead to bloat. AVOID giving any human food to pets at this time, even though those poor pitiful looks will get you every time!
- Any kind of chocolate. Now, mind you, if Fido gets into one Hershey’s kiss, it will not kill him or her, but in larger doses, it can be toxic. Keep an eye out for the candy dish as you are opening presents and reveling in the fun and magic of Christmas.
- Any cleaning products which are not pet safe. Many of these cleaning products, once ingested, could cause immediate toxicity and death. If you see that this has happened, immediately rinse the mouth and affected areas free of the product and either call your vet or go to the emergency vet.
- Grapes and Raisins. Grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs, although so far only about 10 grape-poisoned dogs have been officially reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. The number of grapes or raisins ingested has been between 9 ounces and 2 pounds; however, even a single snack-sized raisin package can induce symptoms. Keep them away from your pet. If he does swallow a large number of grapes, take him to the vet—he may need blood tests and intravenous fluids.
- Christmas trees. Two warnings. First, the tree could topple over and suffocate a small cat or dog. Second, ingesting any sort of hanging décor could potentially be toxic due to shards, preservatives, lacquers and so on. Keep the tree higher than the dog’s height and make sure that any cords are securely fastened.
HAVE A SAFE AND WONDERFUL HOLIDAY SEASON!
Wisconsin Pet Care is the highest rated and highest awarded in home pet sitting and dog walking company in the entire state of Wisconsin.
We provide professional dog walking and pet sitting in Milwaukee and surrounding towns like: Bayside, Bayview, Cudahy, East Side, Fifth Ward, Fox Point, Glendale, Greendale, Greenfield, Hales Corners, Milwaukee, Oak Creek, River Hills, Riverwest, Shorewood, South Milwaukee, St. Francis, Third Ward, Walkers Point, Wauwatosa, West Allis, West Milwaukee, Whitefish Bay.
Kenosha, Racine and Walworth Counties:
Bristol, Caledonia, Kenosha, Mount Pleasant, North Bay, Northern Racine, Pleasant Prairie, Somers, Southern Racine, Sturtevant, Wind Point.
Brookfield, Elm Grove, Menomonee Falls (cats only), New Berlin.
Please call 877-822-6926 for more information on our Dog Walking and Pet Sitting in Milwaukee WI.